Evil Academy

Full Version: Wrath Of Genghis Khan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
I posted the same thread on the OG. Western history has conveniently erased him. Growing up I had never even heard of Genghis Khan. It was all Caesar and Alexander the Great. That's 4 years of high school and 4 years of university.

The reality is, his fluence expands from the humble beginning of steppe Nomads to the great empires of China, Persia, and Eastern Europe. The most influential and expansive conquest in history. Considered by many to be the greatest military general of all time. He was not given the credit for the things that Alexander and Caesar got as they reshaped the world to their liking. I think it was because of his heritage to be honest.

If you are interested in the overlooked and often misguided part of our human history, have a listen, 4 part series by Dan Carlin. This is very very interesting stuff. I listened to 2 parts already yesterday. Looks like I won't be getting any work done. I can't stop.

http://www.dancarlin.com//disp.php/hharc...is-Chingis

http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/e/2/a/e2a1d035...73e92ebb83
I will definitely check this out later.
he was definitely quite cosmopolitan and open minded in some aspects

some people even attribute the renaissance to him due to the opening of trade routes
I knew about Ghengis Khan when I was a kid. It's taught in middle school 'World History'.

I thought it was cool as shit, I wanted to rename my dog Attilla, and I'm pretty sure my first AIM SN was Atilla23
"I posted the same thread on the OG. Western history has conveniently erased him. Growing up I had never even heard of Genghis Khan. It was all Caesar and Alexander the Great. That's 4 years of high school and 4 years of university."

Did you take any ancient history classes at Uni?
When did you go to school? Definitely learned about the Genghis and Kublai.
[Image: E6n31MB.jpg]

I was never taught about Khan or eastern history in general in school.
My dad used to love getting drunk and teaching me about history whilst conveniently bullshiting about our ancestors being involved in all these events.

We still LOL about it today.
my history classes were so western centric that I don't even remember learning anything about the byzantine empire. it was greece and western Rome, then straight to middle ages and Renaissance.
(06-07-2013 01:09 PM)Vutulaki Wrote: [ -> ]My dad used to love getting drunk and teaching me about history whilst conveniently bullshiting about our ancestors being involved in all these events.

who are your ancestors?

(06-07-2013 01:12 PM)CTsar Wrote: [ -> ]my history classes were so western centric that I don't even remember learning anything about the byzantine empire. it was greece and western Rome, then straight to middle ages and Renaissance.

100%.

Just Alexander. Caesar. Rennaissance. Nothing else.

Pure western propaghanda.
(06-08-2013 02:02 AM)DONG JOHNSON Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-07-2013 01:09 PM)Vutulaki Wrote: [ -> ]My dad used to love getting drunk and teaching me about history whilst conveniently bullshiting about our ancestors being involved in all these events.

who are your ancestors?

(06-07-2013 01:12 PM)CTsar Wrote: [ -> ]my history classes were so western centric that I don't even remember learning anything about the byzantine empire. it was greece and western Rome, then straight to middle ages and Renaissance.

100%.

Just Alexander. Caesar. Rennaissance. Nothing else.

Pure western propaghanda.

Mastre in history from Stockholm University. I learned about the Mongol Savage.
mongols are much more sophisticated than given credit for.
I don't recall learning about Khan in school. I do remember a book my parents bought me when I was a kid called "History of the World", and it was the best book I had in my childhood. That's where I first learned of Ghengis Khan and a boat load of stuff never taught in school.
Mongols have made a comeback because they display a sense of cosmopolitan "world government" that is in vogue now.

Quote:Kublai Khan made a census of the population, dividing the people into four categories: Mongols; Miscellaneous aliens (which included West Asian Muslims who performed important services for the Mongols); North Chinese called Han people, those who had been under the Chin state and their descendants, including Chinese, Jurchen, Khitans and Loreans; and finally Southern Chinese, subjects of the Southern Sung, whom the Mongols considered the least trustworthy. The Mongols could not have ruled China without the help of some of the Chinese elite and yet they were reluctant to use the Chinese, particular the Southern Song, in their government. Although Genghis Khan used some Chinese in lower positions in his government, he abolished the civil service exams, kept separate laws for Mongols and for the Chinese, and preferred to employ foreigners rather than Chinese in his bureaucracy as he thought they would be more trustworthy than the Chinese.
[Image: vintage-mongol-pencils-640.jpg]
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Reference URL's