Evil Academy

Full Version: Trump Stuns Lawmakers With Seeming Embrace of Comprehensive Gun Control
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I like taking the guns early.
- Donald Trump

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/28/us/po...ntrol.html
Quote:WASHINGTON — President Trump stunned Republicans on live television Wednesday by embracing gun control and urging a group of lawmakers at the White House to resurrect gun safety legislation that has been opposed for years by the powerful National Rifle Association and the vast majority of his party.

In a remarkable meeting, the president veered wildly from the N.R.A. playbook in front of giddy Democrats and stone-faced Republicans. He called for comprehensive gun control legislation that would expand background checks to weapons purchased at gun shows and on the internet, keep guns from mentally ill people, secure schools and restrict gun sales for some young adults. He even suggested a conversation on an assault weapons ban.

At one point, Mr. Trump suggested that law enforcement authorities should have the power to seize guns from mentally ill people or others who could present a danger without first going to court. “I like taking the guns early,” he said, adding, “Take the guns first, go through due process second.”

The declarations prompted a frantic series of calls from N.R.A. lobbyists to their allies on Capitol Hill and a statement from the group calling the ideas that Mr. Trump expressed “bad policy.” Republican lawmakers suggested to reporters that they remained opposed to gun control measures.

“We’re not ditching any constitutional protections simply because the last person the president talked to today doesn’t like them,” Senator Ben Sasse, Republican of Nebraska, said in a statement.
Continue reading the main story
The Trump White House
The historic moments, head-spinning developments and inside-the-White House intrigue.

Democrats, too, said they were skeptical that Mr. Trump would follow through.

“The White House can now launch a lobbying campaign to get universal background checks passed, as the president promised in this meeting, or they can sit and do nothing,” said Senator Chris Murphy, Democrat of Connecticut.

At the core of Mr. Trump’s suggestion was the revival of a bipartisan bill drafted in 2013 by Senators Joe Manchin III, Democrat of West Virginia, and Patrick J. Toomey, Republican of Pennsylvania, after the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School. Despite a concerted push by President Barack Obama and the personal appeals of Sandy Hook parents, the bill fell to a largely Republican filibuster.

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/editorial...story.html
Quote:President Trump brought lawmakers from both parties to the White House on Wednesday to discuss, publicly, the thorny issue of guns in the wake of the Valentine's Day massacre at a Florida high school. The meeting was most notable for the unexpected interest the president took in tightening gun controls, including expanding background checks to all commercial and internet sales, improving the reporting system that informs the background checks, raising the legal age for buying rifles and other long guns, and making it harder for the mentally ill to possess firearms (though the president lost sight of the Constitution when he said a mentally ill person's due process rights should come after his or her guns are confiscated). He even seemed willing to discuss reviving a federal ban on assault-style weapons. Unfortunately, he also clung to the absurd notion that school shootings occur because the killers know guns are barred on campuses, so schools should be "hardened" by arming some teachers and staff (there was at least one armed guard on the scene during the shooting in Parkland, Fla.).

Of course, just because Trump utters the words doesn't mean he'll stand behind them after the cameras stop rolling. We saw this a few months back when the president seemed flexible on how to restore deportation protections for 700,000 people who have lived in the U.S. illegally since being brought here as children. Negotiations collapsed before the hopes Trump engendered could fully take flight, and there has been no headway on immigration reform or the embattled Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program since. So the nation would be wise keep the saltshaker handy on gun control, as well.
Trump tends to be pretty hot-and-cold. We'll see if he sticks by this or recoils from the backlash.
(03-02-2018 07:52 AM)kungfool Wrote: [ -> ]Trump tends to be pretty hot-and-cold. We'll see if he sticks by this or recoils from the backlash.

Trump is a negotiator. They often take wide stances to begin the negotiations. Let's see where this goes before we can rightly judge the move.
Not the first time Trump has taken a bad position on guns.

[Image: 28378782_10210809214722577_1901159960836939436_n.jpg]
I'm all for gun control, but sweep the illegal guns first.. then take the legal guns
Melt all the confiscated guns...and incorporate them into Trump'a lasting legacy...which is the WALL???!!!

I HAVE SPOKEN???!!!
^ HAHAHA
(03-02-2018 04:14 PM)EVILYOSHIDA Wrote: [ -> ]I'm all for gun control, but sweep the illegal guns first.. then take the legal guns

I say enforce existing laws first.

Arm some teachers or get some real guards at schools. Not cowardly cops who's only real responsibility is to protect each other. The reason they attack schools is because they are soft targets. Nobody has guns in school.

One proposal that I agree with is raising the age to 21 to buy weapons. Maybe allow purchase of a shotgun when guys turn 18.
^ I think guns should be reserved for people who pass a training test and/or some basic psychological evaluation. so in this point I agree with the libs.

However as long as there are millions of illegal guns in the hands of criminals, I am pro guns.
(03-02-2018 04:14 PM)EVILYOSHIDA Wrote: [ -> ]I'm all for gun control, but sweep the illegal guns first.. then take the legal guns
I disagree - I think the arming of the citizens is vital for democracy, even though crime increases at least slightly.
They should make crime illegal.
Lmao. Dianne Feinstein fulfilling a negative racial stereotype.

[Image: 1520224215279.gif]
Reference URL's