Evil Academy

Full Version: Exploration, Adventure, finished ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I read a article about a actor complaining about folk climbing Mt Everest, they do with oxygen that is carried by the native Sherpas, the folk that climb nowdays are basically led up there like sheep, they achieved something if they reach the summit, or did they ?

Is there any exploration left in the world ?
any sight unseen ?
any thing not been done ?
have we reached the end of human achievement ?

Veteran English actor Brian Blessed has slammed people using oxygen to climb Mt Everest.

He said in the Irish Examiner that climbing with oxygen was "achieving nothing".

The 76-year-old, who is currently advertising a bank on New Zealand television, has tried three times to climb Everest and will make a fourth attempt next year.

"I don't think there should be any expeditions to the mountain unless they are climbing it without oxygen - 29,035ft is just high enough to be climbed without oxygen," he said.

"It's achieving nothing in the development of human will and human achievement and in the spirit of adventure. It's all vanity."

He said first Everest conquerors Hillary and Tenzing were different because they were "going into the unknown".

Blessed said people did not appreciate how dangerous an Everest ascent could be. He described the need for weeks of acclimatisation and the difficulties of conquering the various stages of the climb.

He said winds buffeted him "like the Flying Scotsman", his blood "thickened to the consistency of glue" and at night sleeping bags "become like cement" because of the cold.

"I lost 27 million brain cells, I came back 10 and a half stone, lost all my muscles and it took me six months to recover," he said.

The Sherpas put up all the tents, put the rope ladders up the ice field and "then they grab the bloody clients and all the heavy stuff and they give them oxygen, tonnes of oxygen, and they go up there".

"Their feet are placed in one thing after the other before a straight line up the ropes like a bloody zombie," he said.

"And if the weather gets bad and anybody misbehaves, they die.

"Even with the most modern gear, if Everest decides to be malignant, you're f......

"People are going up there who aren't qualified. To a certain extent I think they s... on the mountain. I think they s... on adventure; it's not true adventure.

"I can't put a better word to it, they are crapping on the mountain, they are insulting it, and just for their own egos."

[Image: 8709213.jpg]

[Image: 8709214.jpg]

Another article suggests Everest is "broken"

To reach the top, the mountaineers had to climb the last obstacle, a 12 metre rock wall, now called the Hillary Step.

But climbers doing it now face a crowded, bad tempered two and a half hour wait for their turn to reach the summit.

National Geographic says that Everest had become "an icon for everything that is wrong with climbing".

Writer Mark Jenkins said that last year the top of Everest was so crowded he couldn't find a place to stand.

"Meanwhile, down below at the Hillary Step the lines were so long that some people going up waited more than two hours, shivering, growing weak - this even though the weather was excellent," he said.

"If these throngs of climbers had been caught in a storm, as others were in 1996, the death toll could have been staggering."

All the way up the final stage climbers are forced to move at exactly the same speed as everyone else, regardless of strength or ability.

"In the swirling darkness before midnight, I gazed up at the string of lights - climbers' headlamps, rising into the black sky. Above me were more than a hundred slow-moving climbers."

He said they were attached to a single "ratty rope" which if it had broken, would have seen two dozen climbers fall to their deaths.

Jenkins reported the bodies of dead climbers still littered the scene.

At Hillary Step they passed another corpse, "his stubbly face was gray, his mouth open as if moaning from the pain of death".

National Geographic said almost 4000 people have reached the summit since Hillary and Norgay.

"Clearly the world's highest peak is broken," it said.

"But if you talk to the people who know it best, they'll tell you it's not beyond repair."

New Zealander Russell Brice, 60, who runs Himalayan Experience, was described as running a tight ship on the mountain, and they left a small footprint, removing all of their excrement and rubbish.

But the magazine said in its June issue that this had not much impact higher up.

Camp II, at 21,240 feet, was particularly disgusting and Camp IV was little better, with the tattered skeletons of abandoned tents snapping in the wind.

"We can manage the numbers if all the operators talk to each other," Brice insisted.

"It's all about good communication."

To prevent crowding on the mountain, some have proposed limiting not only the total number of permits per season but also the size of each team to no more than 10 clients per team.

Another New Zealander, Guy Cotter of Adventure Consultants was sceptical.

"That will not happen," he told National Geographic.

"Everest is big business for Nepal, and they will never turn down the money."

Jenkins said that despite the problems Everest still stood alone.

"The mountain is so high and so indifferent it calls upon every climber, at one time or another, to rise to his or her better self," he said.

Climbers would keep coming back.

"It's not simply about reaching the summit but about showing respect for the mountain and enjoying the journey," he said.

"Now it's up to us to restore a sense of sanity to the top of the world."
Quote:"Even with the most modern gear, if Everest decides to be malignant, you're f......

"People are going up there who aren't qualified. To a certain extent I think they s... on the mountain. I think they s... on adventure; it's not true adventure.

woa he's not selfish or anything, other people must put their lives at a higher risk so he can feel better about himself.
these people never get tired of going to a mountain peak.. yet the claim about not going back to the moon was that "there is nothing else to see"

they should have made regular trips back just to preserve the technology.

in 2013 the world is still fiddling with lunar orbiters.
Yes we have the sea bottom left, and not much else.
The ocean fascinates me. We need to travel into the Earth imo.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
This old man just likes to complain.

He would probably have beef with me lying about my crossfit routine so I can impress my Facebook friends.
You can't climb mount everest without oxygen, you senile shit. Even the native Tibetans and Sherpas, who have multiple genetic adaptations to high altitude, never venture up that far. To them only crazy white people will climb a tall mountain for no reason.

The oxygen level at the summit is less than a third of what it is near sea level. Combine that with heavy exertion and you will DIE. Or barely survive with few brain cells left, as this guy apparently did.

Sent from my Samsuck Clone S3 using Crapatalk
I support the bearded man.

Kind of like modern MMA vs old school Vale Tudo. Took some balls to step into the ring back when there was headbutts and soccer kicks, now it's like kickboxing but with less pain.
Tibetans have a fancy version of hemoglobin that releases oxygen better at low pressure. This is an evolutionary adaptation, and you cannot mimic this through practice.

They also have dozens of new genetic variants that help them thrive at high altitudes. This is why the Han Chinese do not stay long in the himalayas, even if they have colonized all other parts of Tibet. They suffer MAJOR health issues from the low oxygen levels. Tibetans generally do not.

Before pressurized oxygen there was not a CHANCE that a white man could reach the summit of everest, or any of the tallest 20 mountains of the himalayas. Even the Sherpas have a hard time doing this unaided.

_______________=

Next you will tell me that white surfers in Australia are cheating if they use sunscreen.

Lmao at turning bright lobster pink after 30 min in bright daylight, that is weak sauce, son.

I refuse to use fucking sunscreen and I don't burn.
(05-23-2013 08:10 PM)Som-Pong Wrote: [ -> ]I refuse to use fucking sunscreen and I don't burn.

You are a damn liar, every single swede burns like white toast in a roaring furnace. That's why they have to get the spray on tans.

I never lie. I am a daywalker, I am sure SATAN will confirm this once I've beaten him in our PRIDE rules fight. Spray tans are the gayest thing since Fraser.
The further exploration of space would be an honorable pursuit if not for the fact that the true intentions behind much of it is space weaponization.

I admire those who dive to deep depths in order to support themselves, like the South American spear fisherman who risk death from compression every day because they have no other work prospects. The old stories of the female Japanese pearl divers are interesting too, they were able to hold their breath for very long amounts of time while swimming and searching.
(05-23-2013 09:27 PM)johan Wrote: [ -> ]The further exploration of space would be an honorable pursuit if not for the fact that the true intentions behind much of it is space weaponization.

I admire those who dive to deep depths in order to support themselves, like the South American spear fisherman who risk death from compression every day because they have no other work prospects. The old stories of the female Japanese pearl divers are interesting too, they were able to hold their breath for very long amounts of time while swimming and searching.

THe US was seriously about to detonate a large a-bomb on the moon to intimidate the russians in the 60's
President Bush has pledged that we will go to the moon one day.

Astronauts to land in 2015-2020 to set up lunar base
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/3950099/ns/tec...on-beyond/
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's