Evil Academy

Full Version: Russian folk music
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Nice. For people who like traditional folklore music I would highly recommend Traditional Music Channel on youtube. It has a vast collection of traditional music from the entire world.
very spiritual and I like how you can tell they are proud of being Russian. they are no longer ashamed. they are tall and proud
(05-25-2017 03:53 PM)rezin Wrote: [ -> ]Nice. For people who like traditional folklore music I would highly recommend Traditional Music Channel on youtube. It has a vast collection of traditional music from the entire world.

the best eastern european vocal music is imo the bulgarian voices music that inspired ghost in the shell

this kind of music sounds like it cast off the devil

the most powerful russian music I have heard are still the church bells. it is the sound that can spook satan

Quote:the best eastern european vocal music is imo the bulgarian voices music that inspired ghost in the shell

this kind of music sounds like it cast off the devil

The purely vocal stuff is not my favorite to be honest. But when it comes to traditional music I think Bulgarian (or Balkan in general) is the best. It took me 30 years to become receptive to this kind of music, but once you "get it" you are hooked.

The problem with traditional folklore music is that there is very little of it played on the radio (even in the countries of origin) and people don't grow up with it. My parents for example grew up with 60s and 70s American rock, so by extension I grew up with West European and American music types (all sorts of rock, shoegaze, electronica, ambient) which let's be honest, it's pretty damn great. Outstanding even. But if you grow up with this you might not be receptive to a different style.

The other problem with folklore music is that just like with every other genre out there, the radio only plays the designated "top 40 hits". If I was exposed only to the designated rock hits, I would have never liked this type of music. It's the same with folklore, you gotta have access to a very broad range of a particular style so that you can pick and chose what works for you. There's multiple regions in the country that have thousands of songs and variations, but most people have only heard at most a few dozen in their entire lives.

As wonderful as modern West European/ American music can be, it mostly only works in the Anglophonic language. It can potentially work in French, German and Russian, but I think most of the time if people want to create good music in their own language, they should look to their rich cultural past and build on that base, instead of developing somebody else's culture.
(05-25-2017 03:57 PM)EVILYOSHIDA Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-25-2017 03:53 PM)rezin Wrote: [ -> ]Nice. For people who like traditional folklore music I would highly recommend Traditional Music Channel on youtube. It has a vast collection of traditional music from the entire world.

the best eastern european vocal music is imo the bulgarian voices music that inspired ghost in the shell

this kind of music sounds like it cast off ghouls

Has an Arabic sound to it.

Pure Virgin / Agni Parthene is pretty good.
My favorite performances of Agni Parthene
are here below. Especially the last one in the list:
http://predanie.ru/bez-avtora/pravoslavn...vnye-araby

I think you might agree, Rezin. The accompaniment also feels like it has a 1970s East European feel. I am not sure why.
It's neat, but a little too fast and cheerful for this type of song. I like this one (and I'm sure EY will appreciate those demon chasing bells)

Reference URL's