Evil Academy

Full Version: New King Kong looks good visually. harks back to 1933
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The King Kong looks like the old one from the 30's but updated. Very cool. NOt sure about the movie, but I'm liking the look of the new king kong

Creature design[edit]

Kong's official design revealed via Entertainment Weekly.
Director Vogt-Roberts stated that he wanted Kong to look simple and iconic enough that a third grader could draw him and it would still be recognizable.[17] Vogt-Roberts also wanted Kong to feel like a "lonely God, he was a morose figure, lumbering around this island" and took the design back to the 1933 incarnation where Kong was presented as a "bipedal creature that walks in an upright position."[17] Vogt-Roberts additionally stated, "If anything, our Kong is meant to be a throwback to the ’33 version. [Kong] was a movie monster, so we worked really hard to take some of the elements of the ’33 version, some of those exaggerated features, some of those cartoonish and iconic qualities, and then make them their own…We created something that to some degree served as a throwback to the inspiration for what started all of this, but then also [had] it be a fully unique and different creature that — I would like to think — is fully contained and identifiable as the 2017 version of King Kong. I think there are very modern elements to him, yet hopefully he feels very timeless at the same time."[17]

--

smart I've been calling this for a long time. the 1933 Kong is the gold standard. Very humanlike in appearance and sympathetic
the best kong

[Image: bfi-00m-eqj-king-kong.jpg?itok=qGiVrUEk]
this king kong scene is so dumb. wow. all style no substance. so superfluous

was gonna say what's the point in doing another King Kong remake when the last one was released in '05.

but after reading this comment I get it:

SlavjanA1 month ago
King Kong vs Godzilla pretty much confirmed.
it's also been done before btw

kong vs. godzilla will be released in 2020
I'm a Kong fan from way back. My favorite is the 1933 version but I also enjoy the Jessica Lang version and the Peter Jackson version. The Jackson version was also a throwback to 1933 with the period and the city backdrop, but the ape was not 1933 looking.

[Image: 936_4.jpg]

I also like the Japanese version, King Kong vs Godzilla.

[Image: f75b1fe58a3cece5c4d532783b70c0b6cc6765fb...7d06d7.jpg]

And loved the cartoon series as a kid, the theme song is so catchy.

On a side note, Willis H. O'Brien, the guy who developed the stop motion animation that was used, (his 1925 movie, The Lost World, is way ahead of it's time.)

continued to use the technique in movies for another 30 years until he died, and his student Ray Harryhausen used it for decades to come.

It is still used today in some claymation movies.

The animated movie Harvie Krumpet was awarded an Oscar in 2004 for using what is essentially silent movie technology.

For reference: this is O'Brien's 1933 fight between King Kong and a T-Rex, incredible stuff. Looks as though Kong may have wrestled in High school.

Wasn't godzilla tall as the buildings and king Kong about 30ft tall?
Suspend your disbelief
19..."33"???!!!
I think movies today have terrible special effects. It would be nice if someone would start doing movies with techniques from the 20s and 30s, (which were used until the 80s really).

But that movie doesn't look like it's doing that at all. It looks boring.

I'll just watch movies from the 20s to 40s. They are both interesting and "normal".
^ I totally agree. they need to go back to the analog stuff. you feel the effort hence it feels more real

the computer graphics stuff is lame as hell. lame to the core. even if it looks real it feels fake.
Another classic old school animation movie by the same team, but it's not as famous as King Kong.

Mighty Joe Young

Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's