Evil Academy

Full Version: Amazon manipulating star rating system for Sandy Hook book
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
can anyone do basic math?

[Image: C4fjkYP.png]

it's supposed to be roughly 3 stars, yet it has 4.

sickening. this means they most likely individually tweaked it to give it a higher rating. Amazon is complicit with this shady event.. even banning the groundbreaking book "Nobody died at sandy hook"
some interesting reviews:

1.0 out of 5 starsKaitlin Roig-DeBellis is "CHOOSING OPPORTUNISM"
ByTriciaon October 7, 2015
Format: Hardcover
If I could give this book zero stars, I would!
In my opinion, this author has zero credibility when it comes to preaching about hope and surviving dark days.
Kaitlin Roig-DeBellis did what every other teacher did in Sandy Hook Elementary School on that awful day in December, 2012. The shooter didn't enter her classroom and Kaitlin and her students were lucky enough to walk out of the school that day. Isn't THAT enough? It takes a special kind of person who would chose to take the brutal murder of 20 first graders and 6 educators and turn it into a book deal, media tour, glamour magazine award, red carpet appearances and a celebrity type lifestyle. Are these the moral lessons you teach your students?
Shame on you Kaitlin Roig-DeBellis!
7 comments|117 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?
Yes
No
Report abuse
3.0 out of 5 starsDisappointed
ByPhoenixon October 7, 2015
Format: Hardcover|Verified Purchase
I really really wanted to love this book. What happened at Sandy Hook absolutely broke my heart ( I lost my own child a year later ). I sobbed watching Kaitlin being interviewed by Diane Sawyer and admired her bravery. It's what all educators do. You could feel her panic and trauma through the tv.

But as I continued reading, I was a bit taken aback at what I can only describe as self-glorification. I also have to agree with the administrators. Giving in to her list of demands would send a clear message to the children that, yes, you are still not safe here. Let's get ready for the bad man because he might come back. You are not safe anywhere.

Ms. Roig-Debellis absolutely had a heartbreaking story to share with the world and her non-profit Classes4Classes is a wonderful thing. It really is.

However, I felt her story was greatly diminished by the red carpets, awards, photoshoots, magazines, interviews, and ( sadly ) now a book about how wonderful of a person/teacher/ fiancé/daughter she is and all these other people closely involved with the tragedy were heartless meanies. There are always two sides to a story.

She wrote that she experienced the worst thing you can go through. I highly disagree. She wasn't a parent who had to bury a child. She wasn't a child who witnessed teachers and classmates shot to death.

I'm sure she's a fantastic teacher and I would love to hear she's back in the classroom educating children...and away from book signings and the limelight. Put some balm on the fame bug that bit her.
1.0 out of 5 starsShameful
ByMatthew M. Allenon October 8, 2015
Many teachers at Sandy Hook could have written this book, but only one decided to make a profit off of this tragedy. Did Kaitlin reach out to the families of the tragedy? No, instead she proclaimed herself a "hero" and decided to make a profit on her recollection of the events. Did she take into account the reaction of those truly affected by this event and their reaction to reading these words?

Again, no, please do not support those who are looking to profit off this tragedy by purchasing this book.

Shame on Kaitlin, and shame on the publishers for looking to make a profit off of this tragedy.
i remember reading more bad reviews, but I guess they deleted them.

if memory serves me correctly, you have to buy the book to review it. even 50% 1 star ratings is significant.

many of the bad reviews concentrate not just on the hoax, but on her narcissism and feelings of self importance.

she is trying to profit off the event.

ALSO, think about this since she likes PUBLICITY so much.. wouldn't it make sense to show up with some of the KIDS IN THE BATHROOM? would cause so much more impact. but she won't do it.

that in itself is shady as hell
HAHAHA. "NOT A WORD OF TRUE!" i like that!

1.0 out of 5 starsNot a word of true!
ByAntonon November 30, 2015
Not a word of true!
Comment|57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?
I saw this last week. It appears they are basing the rating on the reviews of verified buyers only.

I'm not sure if this is a common practice on Amazon.
why even allow reviews by unverified buyers?

I always thought you had to buy it to review it. maybe that's not the case?

still though, it's weird.
also they included 50% 1 star in the official rating.. yet for the total it doesn't add up

if only verified buyers could rate, then there would be less 1 star ratings.

I still say it's rigged
(04-19-2016 04:30 PM)EVILYOSHIDA Wrote: [ -> ]why even allow reviews by unverified buyers?

I always thought you had to buy it to review it. maybe that's not the case?

still though, it's weird.

They allow unverified purchases because people can buy it from somewhere and still leave a review.

Still, you are kind of correct.

Usually, I'm pretty sure unverified purchases count toward the final rating.

And because of that, this book originally had a two star rating.

It was probably bumped up to 4.1 stars because the author or publisher lobbied to have the unverified purchases removed from the final rating.

Usually, that's not the case.
Verified Purchases

- 41 five star reviews
- 4 four star reviews
- 5 three star reviews
- 0 two star reviews
- 5 one star reviews

All Reviewers(verified and unverified)

- 64 five star reviews
- 8 four star reviews
- 5 three star reviews
- 2 two star reviews
- 77 one star reviews

All this really tells us is that most people commenting don't believe the Kaitlin Roig-DeBellis story.

And that Amazon removed all of those reviews to help improve the overall rating of the book.
yep. there is a report abuse option present. pretty sure a lot of the negative reviews got removed.

still though why include all the 1 star reviews in the tally, yet not include it in the final rating?

that in itself is weird.
Reference URL's