Evil Academy

Full Version: My Husband Constantly Challenges My Authority In Front Of Our Child.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Title of thread says it all.....

We have a 7-year-old daughter. My husband always challenges my parental authority in front of her. When my husband is around, I feel completely ineffective as a parent. I am stuck playing the bad guy, while my husband gets to play the good guy. How can I make my husband understand that his behavior is damaging our daughter?

Tried talking to him last night about it and he flat out said I was mean.. and it snowballed into an argument... ( Our second one in our eight year relationship)

Our daughter was very very rude to our guests yesterday... I told my daughter she could not play minecraft, or watch minecraft videos on YouTube, and no video games for a week and that she was to clean her room and sweep the upstairs of the house.

In front of her he said " No that's too much, that she can play minecraft, and have her video games, but no YouTube videos and that she was too young to clean her room and sweep."

As he's saying this she's looking at me with this face of victory as the mean one gets undermined again... I get up this morning and she's on YouTube while he's watching Indiana Jones on TV.

I love my husband to death... I worship the ground he walks on but now i'm starting to get really bothered by this.. It's not the first time this happens and i've kept my mouth shut for a long time about it. She needs more discipline and he has zero interest in giving it and I don't want an asshole for a kid!

Some advice would be great.. Thanks.
The dynamic should be the opposite with a son. Dads are usually more protective of the daughter
2 arguments in 8 years? Lol. Your husband is very very lucky. Korean women arguments everyday nearly
He is absolutely undermining your authority over any topic of issues with your daughter.

H needs to understand it takes more than one to raise a child, that he should and so should you have each others back in such cases as raising your child, which include all issues.

We show children by example how to behave, that means you both have to be unified in your approach and keep the challenges about how you do that behind closed doors.

As a father of three sons my wife did this all the time, she has basically ruined my relationship with her because of it. Seriously, we are divorcing and her constantly trying to "one up" me, has been one of my main issues with her that and the insecurity that comes with having to try to control everything.

ha ha dont get divorced over it but definitely tell him, you are in to parenting to share it, also to improve upon the next generation you are sending out into this world and he needs to not be such a hog on air time with your child
Moms should generally be in control but dad regulates when kids cross the line
(09-08-2015 03:09 AM)NorthernHospitality Wrote: [ -> ]Title of thread says it all.....

We have a 7-year-old daughter. My husband always challenges my parental authority in front of her. When my husband is around, I feel completely ineffective as a parent. I am stuck playing the bad guy, while my husband gets to play the good guy. How can I make my husband understand that his behavior is damaging our daughter?

Tried talking to him last night about it and he flat out said I was mean.. and it snowballed into an argument... ( Our second one in our eight year relationship)

Our daughter was very very rude to our guests yesterday... I told my daughter she could not play minecraft, or watch minecraft videos on YouTube, and no video games for a week and that she was to clean her room and sweep the upstairs of the house.

In front of her he said " No that's too much, that she can play minecraft, and have her video games, but no YouTube videos and that she was too young to clean her room and sweep."

As he's saying this she's looking at me with this face of victory as the mean one gets undermined again... I get up this morning and she's on YouTube while he's watching Indiana Jones on TV.

I love my husband to death... I worship the ground he walks on but now i'm starting to get really bothered by this.. It's not the first time this happens and i've kept my mouth shut for a long time about it. She needs more discipline and he has zero interest in giving it and I don't want an asshole for a kid!

It sounds like she received no punishment and your husband should understand that this is unacceptable.

Does she do chores yet? Cleaning her room is hardly a punishment anyway, as long as you temper expectations since she is only 7.

No video games, or videos about video games for a week is completely justified.

I don't know how difficult it is to sweep your upstairs, but everything else is completely justified.

You should show your husband some videos of spoiled teenagers acting out, that may change his mind about discipline.
i'm more blown away by 2 arguments in 8 years.

is that even possible?

Usually the dad is the bad guy.. and the kids are closer to mom. this is nature's natural arrangement.

as the kids get older, the daughters may be closer to the dad and the mom may feel jealousy issues.. but at 7 that dynamic hasn't kicked in yet
(09-08-2015 03:40 AM)what Wrote: [ -> ]He is absolutely undermining your authority over any topic of issues with your daughter.

H needs to understand it takes more than one to raise a child, that he should and so should you have each others back in such cases as raising your child, which include all issues.

We show children by example how to behave, that means you both have to be unified in your approach and keep the challenges about how you do that behind closed doors.

As a father of three sons my wife did this all the time, she has basically ruined my relationship with her because of it. Seriously, we are divorcing and her constantly trying to "one up" me, has been one of my main issues with her that and the insecurity that comes with having to try to control everything.

ha ha dont get divorced over it but definitely tell him, you are in to parenting to share it, also to improve upon the next generation you are sending out into this world and he needs to not be such a hog on air time with your child

Dayum! Sorry to hear that Sad

Thanks for this... We will be having a talk about it tonight after she's in bed.
(09-08-2015 03:34 AM)EVILYOSHIDA Wrote: [ -> ]2 arguments in 8 years? Lol. Your husband is very very lucky. Korean women arguments everyday nearly

I couldn't imagine arguing everyday! That would break me. Maybe that's why he's so laxed about punishing her.. To avoid conflict??
(09-08-2015 04:31 AM)NorthernHospitality Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-08-2015 03:34 AM)EVILYOSHIDA Wrote: [ -> ]2 arguments in 8 years? Lol. Your husband is very very lucky. Korean women arguments everyday nearly

I couldn't imagine arguing everyday! That would break me. Maybe that's why he's so laxed about punishing her.. To avoid conflict??

yeah maybe he doesn't like conflict.. or maybe he just really likes his daughter. I notice that men usually spoil the daughters but are more strict to the sons.

are there any other kids? if so, it could explain some other dynamics
nice to see some domestic topics on this forum. we need a bit more variety. I think I went too hard on Sandy Hook and false flags recently.
(09-08-2015 03:09 AM)NorthernHospitality Wrote: [ -> ]Title of thread says it all.....

Great track record for a relationship, I have to say...

But, yes, parents (generally) shouldn't undermine one another in front their children. Much like government, differences should be ironed out away from the children.
does your husband you know you go on the OG and some semi-right wing forums like EY.com?

lol. just wondering.
(09-08-2015 03:40 AM)what Wrote: [ -> ]He is absolutely undermining your authority over any topic of issues with your daughter.

What what said.
(09-08-2015 03:55 AM)GMB13 Wrote: [ -> ]

It sounds like she received no punishment and your husband should understand that this is unacceptable.

Does she do chores yet? Cleaning her room is hardly a punishment anyway, as long as you temper expectations since she is only 7.

No video games, or videos about video games for a week is completely justified.

I don't know how difficult it is to sweep your upstairs, but everything else is completely justified.

You should show your husband some videos of spoiled teenagers acting out, that may change his mind about discipline.

She has chores. She sets the dinner table and cleans the table after every meal, she feeds the dog and her hermit crabs every morning as well and her room is supposed to be tidy, buuuuut that's an ongoing fight... For her to sweep the upstairs would take her about 5 mins... Its a small hallway..

I think I will show him vids of out of control kids... The behavior she has displaying lately is so ridiculous i'm almost tempted to smack her ass ( i won't but fuck man i really wanted too yesterday)

I think the best way to go about this is hubby and I should sit down and discuss and come to agreement on what punishment would suit her best for the behavior she's displaying...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Reference URL's