Evil Academy

Full Version: A tip for future nurses
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
For all you nurses who will someday work the triage area:

Don’t let people with abdominal pain sit for 45 min in the waiting room with a blood pressure of 76 systolic and a heart rate of 120. It’s...just bad form.

Thanks,

Dr. Carver
thanks for the advice
Just so you know, those symptoms are classic signs that an aorta has dissected, and the person is actively bleeding to death internally. Speed is key to a favorable outcome.
Is the hospital liable if they die in the waiting room?
(04-19-2013 06:40 AM)EVILYOSHIDA Wrote: [ -> ]Is the hospital liable if they die in the waiting room?

It depends. To meet the standard of malpractice, it has to be proven that the care that was provided was outside the standard of medical care. In a case like that, if the pt died, chances are the hospital would settle because you never know if a jury is going to throw "standard of care" out the window and simply find in favor of the pt's family.

In a case where all the VS look normal but the pt dies in the waiting room, by law the hospital wouldn't be at fault, but in my example, if the pt died in the waiting room (he didn't, by the way) the hospital would be writing a check one way or another.
What's the policy when the doc thinks I should have an x-ray just because I had a concussion? I ain't paying for no x-ray, everyone knows that the best thing to do after you get a concussion is to keep drinking and maybe some amphetamine.
LOL, if you come with a concussion, I'm ordering a CT. If you're competent and you refuse the CT, I'll present you with an AMA form so you can't come back and say that I didn't treat you properly. If the concussion is so bad that I don't think you're competent to make the call, I'll have my fine, fine security officers restrain you while you are sedated, and then I'll get that head CT anyway. That B-52 we give you to get you in the CT scanner will kick that speed buzz you have going on BTW Smile
Nice one Doc! Last time I had a concussion after getting in a bit of a scuffle that's sort of what the doctor did (plastic surgeon who stitched my lip together), he had my sign some form because I didn't want to pay for that stuff Big Grin That was last December and I'm as healthy as ever.

Also, next time I want to get sedated so thanks for the tip!
(04-19-2013 04:28 PM)Daniel Carver Wrote: [ -> ]LOL, if you come with a concussion, I'm ordering a CT. If you're competent and you refuse the CT, I'll present you with an AMA form so you can't come back and say that I didn't treat you properly. If the concussion is so bad that I don't think you're competent to make the call, I'll have my fine, fine security officers restrain you while you are sedated, and then I'll get that head CT anyway. That B-52 we give you to get you in the CT scanner will kick that speed buzz you have going on BTW Smile

Your security guards better weigh more than 80KG, not too many sub 80KG dudes can hang with Galt.
(04-19-2013 04:47 PM)HYUNG Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-19-2013 04:28 PM)Daniel Carver Wrote: [ -> ]LOL, if you come with a concussion, I'm ordering a CT. If you're competent and you refuse the CT, I'll present you with an AMA form so you can't come back and say that I didn't treat you properly. If the concussion is so bad that I don't think you're competent to make the call, I'll have my fine, fine security officers restrain you while you are sedated, and then I'll get that head CT anyway. That B-52 we give you to get you in the CT scanner will kick that speed buzz you have going on BTW Smile

Your security guards better weigh more than 80KG, not too many sub 80KG dudes can hang with Galt.

They travel in groups of threes and have tasers. They also contact local law enforcement if it's a situation they think they can't handle. One thing my hospital has improved at over the years is security.
Are you an MMA fan Dr Carver?
I watch MMA casually these days. It's not something I follow terribly closely anymore.
What do you think about the fact that after I got my shoulder dislocated in wrestling practice here in Australia I had to wait in ER for junkies to get fixed first?

Do you think the nurse had a valid reason to say "Well thats what you get for wrestling" when I complained?

Im still really pissed about that seven years or so later.
(04-19-2013 05:07 PM)HYUNG Wrote: [ -> ]What do you think about the fact that after I got my shoulder dislocated in wrestling practice here in Australia I had to wait in ER for junkies to get fixed first?

Do you think the nurse had a valid reason to say "Well thats what you get for wrestling" when I complained?

Im still really pissed about that seven years or so later.

I absolutely disagree with that. At my ED, seekers are always triaged last.
She was a massive fat down syndrome looking bull dyke.

Also I dont think they were seekers, they had over dossed, I actually said they should let them die right in front of their parents.

Fuck junkies.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's